SQUEEZING TINKER BELL WITH HER LIGHT UP SHOES
“Mama! Where arrrre you? I can’t seeee you!” Those were my little Tinker bell’s parting words as we bobbed and weaved our way through the close of her Disney World birthday celebration. I squeezed her hands to remind her that I was still there–even when she couldn’t quite see me.
For days, we gently squeezed and comforted her on the “dark and scaaary rides” (for a 3-year-old, even the first-time ride through “It’s a small world” is a little scary and not so small after all).
And we gripped her hands along the winding sidewalks filled with cattle herds of people rushing in all around. This sassy Tinker bell’s never been so obedient to hold my hand, and I’ve never been so thankful for her light-up shoes.
The nights were filled with the crackle and pop of fireworks as she draped her blanket over her face, threw her hands over her ears, and then burrowed her head and her fears deep into her daddy’s neck as he ducked for cover.
“I want to go home!” she said repeatedly on our trip. I completely understood. At home, she’s a bull in the china cabinet, but there, she’s a timid little calf still trying to find her legs– and her mama. She prefers the familiar and likes her cozy, easy chair over the glitz and glam of a princess castle. Just like her mama.
“Baby girl,” I assured her on the long ride home, “We’ll be home soon, I promise.” We distracted each other with the Itsy Bitsy Spider song belted out about a hundred times. And I had to squeeze her hand a few more times over hundreds of miles, until our tires finally crunched down our street. Until we finally made it home.
I can only give her simple, reassuring words now, along with smiles and tender squeezes. But the years will come when I’ll tell my little Tinker bell the words she’ll need to hear to find her wings. And I’ll fully explain God’s Words that will give wind to those wings. Then I’ll stand back to watch her take her flight of faith.
Along the way, I’ll tell her:
1. When you can’t see in front of you, know that your Heavenly Daddy is always right beside you- squeezing your hand to remind you of His vast love for you. It’s an abiding love that remains even when you can’t feel His presence or understand His purpose.
2. And when you feel like you’re walking through a fog of faith, know that He’s shed light on the pages of His Word to put light to your feet of faith.
3. During the darkest of days or the unexpected fireworks of life, know that you’re never too old to burrow your face and your fears in your Heavenly Daddy’s neck. He’s your greatest protector and faithful defender.
4. Know that there will be a day when the Son will come out and dry up all the rain, and all of your tears, and there will never be dark again.
5. And until we all make it home, we’ll keep walking– and flying along the course of faith He’s custom made for each of us. So fly on Tinker bell! Fly on!
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. Psalm 119:105
We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 2 Peter 1:19
Your sun will never set again, and your moon will wane no more; the LORD will be your everlasting light, and your days of sorrow will end. Isaiah 60:20
FIND YOUR WINGS BY MARK HARRIS ON YOUTUBE:
Tuesday Link-up at Cornerstones Confessions: